Monday, March 30, 2009

Reflections

I returned home, (to my computer?), this morning to find an invitation to become a contributor to this blog. The invitation had come from my friend Winston, whom I have known since childhood. The obvious questions played in my mind - "what is this about?", "is there an agenda?", "what are the expectations?", etc. The curious thing is that I found myself clicking the link to create an account and become a contributor.

It occurred to me that this action pretty well defines the relationship between Winston and I. None of those swirling questions required an answer. It was reflex. I'm in. Considering some of our more colorful adventures, a more cautious approach may have been prudent, but that has never been who we are. I suppose it never will be.

So here I am, for better or worse, refelcting on what brought me, and in the bigger picture, how this diverse little gathering came to be where we are at this stage of our lives. I am struck by how far the pendulum has swung from projecting to reflecting - speaking personally. In my idealistic, (and often mis-spent), youth, I was filled with passion, outrage, and a sense of limitless power to change the world we live in. Time is insidious - much more reflection these days. Perhaps that is the product of, what seems to me, more frequent reminders of my own mortality, and deeper consideration of my legacy. I suspect that this migration is not unique to me. After reading Winston's first blogs, I am reminded that there is a current of common experience that helped shape the four of us, though we chose distincly different paths. We survived the tornado of '57 that Winston spoke of, the age of aquarius, and the Vietnam war, to name just a few.

As I sit here "window shopping through the past", (in the words of John Prine), I feel the slightest stirring of that passion and outrage from days gone by. Perhaps it is not dead - but only taking a little nap. Is it time to wake? Maybe, but it's so warm and comfortable here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rick. I need to go change that name on the list of contributors. I'm strictly Dubby here. The computer already has me coded in as Winston, but that's because it doesn't know how to window shop through the past. It sounds so strange to hear you call me Winston, it is almost painful.

    Also, I think you are fully awake. As to that passion and outrage which may be taking a nap--perhaps. But maybe it isn't sleeping as much as it has taken on the brown edges of a good mellow red wine. Those fruity notes which would have been distinct and striking when young are what gave the wine such character as it matured. The only reason someone would have drank it before its time was because they were too impatient or desperate to get a buzz.

    But all those people who have come to love it as a full bodied and "rounded" vintage recognize it for its superb qualities, which it is just now willing to release.

    The things you do in your life now, from dashing over to the farm to set up the studio, to sitting down with your guitar with friends--this seems to me to fit you well. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want you to be any different.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete