Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ship Hattins

Man, how did we get here?

btw, it is probably self indulgent folly to imagine that someone wants to hear more about my frolicking in the Amazon, so I won't post the second chapter to the start of my last blog. But if anyone out there would like to hear about my conversation with the Snake (actually close encounter but not full on) and other adventures with the spirit realm, email me and I'll write you a private account.

I had the most interesting email exchange with a new acquaintance. She is the founder of a company called Sustainable Sourcing Organics and she has done incredibly brave things in the business world. She seems to not sit still and wait for other organizations to solve ecological problems, but with her own entreprenuerial instincts and hard work, she is building a company based on solid environmental and social principles.

So for this new endeavor which is starting to materialize which involves starting a trade association and also a new food company, I have a new email address--ecofma@gmail.com. But so that I will spot new emails, I have them also forwarded to my scrollingsales address. Now, not to air my dirty laundry in public, but my hope is that within a year I can spend most of my work time between the new trade association and the food brand, and not find myself working for (even indirectly) large corporations which have done so much damage to people and planet.

Well, as it so happens, when the email is forwarded, the natural instinct is to just reply to the email in the window you're in. So here I'm trying to be this "green socially conscious" guy, answering the email of Melissa Kushi, who originally saw mail from me from the Ecological Food Manufacturers Association, as the Executive Director.

After a short trail of emails I realized she is now hearing from the President of Zuni Scrolling Signs, who by all appearances couldn't give a flip about people or animals. In fact, if you search him down by the links, you'll find that his company is blatantly involved with advertising and of all things "the outdoor advertising" industry, which is partly responsible for the blight of scenic road ways.

After I switched over to the new window and my ears regained their normal skin tint color from the bright red throb they had going on at the time of my discovery, I found myself stumbling around like some kind of guilty cheerleader who tried to explain to the enthusiastic fans in the bleachers that she usually has panties on for the routine and the few minutes she was gone, visiting some of the team members didn't have anything to do with her missing underwear.

The fact that I'm dealing with the situation and in a totally freakish accident had to take over this company, and we've honestly done some pretty cool things, including inventing the Zuni brand and are creating a kind of advertising network which helps other small businesses have a shot at the cash usually reserved for CBS and AOL, is something which doesn't cease to amaze me. How in the world do we find ourselves in the darndest places?

The good news is, I'm working my way back home. My goal is to figure out a way to make a living without leaving a footprint the size of Godzilla and to be able to wake up every morning excited about my work.

One other thing, kind reader...I hope you had a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment